By Richard Gray
- The so much accomplished and updated historical past of yank literature on hand today
- Covers fiction, poetry, drama, and non-fiction, in addition to other kinds of literature together with folktale, spirituals, the detective tale, the mystery, and technological know-how fiction
- Explores the plural personality of yankee literature, together with the contributions made by way of African American, local American, Hispanic and Asian American writers
- Considers how our knowing of yank literature has replaced over the past?thirty years
- Situates American literature within the contexts of yank background, politics and society
- Offers a useful advent to American literature for college students in any respect degrees, educational and common readers
Read Online or Download A History of American Literature PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Examines the idea and perform of nonfiction narrative literature in twentieth-century Mexico. within the turbulent 20th century, huge numbers of Mexicans of all social periods confronted problem and disaster on a possible non-stop foundation. Revolution, earthquakes, commercial mess ups, political and exertions unrest, in addition to indigenous insurgency put awesome pressures on collective and person id.
Whereas ecu scholarship within the Classics has a protracted and verified culture, little or no has been written at the background of classical scholarship in North the US. by way of offering profiles of a few six hundred North American Classicists, this reference ebook provides a kick off point for outlining the background of Classical scholarship in Canada and the U.S..
First released in 1990, this examine makes a speciality of the subversive innovations of British postmodernist fiction and examines its problem to Realist traditions, and the liberal humanist ideology at the back of it. Exploring the idea that of literary postmodernism, and the innovations and philosophies to which it has given upward thrust, Alison Lee investigates how they're built in a range of latest British novels, together with Midnight’s little ones, Waterland, Flaubert’s Parrot, and Lanark.
How are we to consider satire if it has ceased to exist as a discrete style? This examine proposes a unique resolution, knowing the satiric within the postwar period as a suite of writing practices: figures of inversion, myth-making, and quotation. via exhibiting how writers and theorists alike installation those units in new contexts, this publication reexamines the hyperlink among German postwar writing and the historical past of satire, and among literature and concept.
- Pat Barker’s "Regeneration" – a piece of historiographic metafiction?
- Class and Culture in Crime Fiction: Essays on Works in English Since the 1970s
- Narrative Parameters in 'Psycho'
- Atmosphere, Mood, Stimmung: On a Hidden Potential of Literature
- Understanding Pat Conroy (Understanding Contemporary American Literature)
Additional resources for A History of American Literature
A History of American Literature by Richard Gray